Monday, July 7, 2008

New Lights, New Possibilities

artists figure

I recently got a pair of light stands and small umbrellas. Nothing fancy, but I thought it might help me with some slightly more interesting lighting. At the same time, we bought a second Nikon SB-600 flash for the wife's camera bag. This allows me to mount a SB-600 on each light stand and control their outputs wirelessly via Nikon's CLS. That and some black velvet, and viola, you have the above picture. The key light was to the left and just about full power. The fill light was dialed down a couple of stops and higer and to the right. The actual wooden figure is only about six inches high, but I think it looks pretty good.

This shot preceded in concept but followed in shooting sequence the shot below. My wife had a sewing project to do and was sorting through a big box of thread to find just the right color. Once she had, I sorted out several that looked interesting and tried this.

sewing thread


It was kind of a pain to stack and kind of got knocked down at the end. I also had to crop it pretty tight (I kind of wanted to anyway) to get it both in an 8x10 ratio, and to crop out a stray thread at the top of the yellow spool. I didn't quite get all of it, but I was in a rush to get it done. I might go and fix it later, but it does lend a sort of realness to the image.

On that topic, I could have done some more fiddling in post to get the colors to really pop, but these are the actual colors of the thread. I wanted it to seem real.

No comments: